Author Topic: IFMIS deployment models  (Read 666 times)

halle

• PFM Member
  • Understand first, then be understood
    • FreeBalance Inc.
IFMIS deployment models
« on: October 01, 2014, 17:59:19 GMT »
There are multiple models that seems to be preferred.  I've placed them into a basic matrix below for discussion purposes.

Axis 1:  Organizational breadth.  Pilot or roll out in a limited number of line ministries, then roll out fully over a longer time frame.  Or, roll out to all orgs at once.
Axis 2:  Scope.  Roll out a set number of functions.  Then, increase the functional scope/footprint in subsequent phases.

So the options look like the following:

Organizational Coverage
                                           Pilot / Limited Size                    All at Once
                                   --------------------------------------------------------------

Set functions                  1                                            2

Scope

All functions                   3                                            4

Obviously there are a lot of extenuating circumstances that determines which option is ideal or recommended - country size, economic situation, political will, administrative capacity, etc.  However, I was wondering if anyone knows of any studies that have been made on the the matrix factors to see how 'successful' an IFMIS project was in regards to the typical 3 project measurements (as per the original RFP scope or similar document):  1)  On time   2)  On Budget   3)  With intended scope/functionality

I thought 1 & 3 would be more prevalent and more successful but I couldn't find any studies or analyses made re: this specifically.

Looking forward to seeing the comments/feedback ...
Hal Le

JulieCooper

• PFM Member
Re: IFMIS deployment models
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 06:42:34 GMT »
Implementing IFMIS is not a small task. I do not know of any study that has ranked the 4 options and to me it is not necessary because it is the circumstances of the country, budget, funding support (donor and national) and political will to the reform. For an IFMIS implementation to be success it is fundamentally important to have a well designed approved scope of work, a comprehensive work plan and a knowledgeable and experienced implementation team. All too often IFMIS implementations are undertaken with too little funding and by an inexperienced team leading to failure where the IFMIS software is wrongly critisized. Often donors rush to implement IFMIS with the misguided belief that IFMIS can solve problems with PFM. There is no question that IFMIS is a fantastic tool for improving PFM, however if not undertaken by a skillful implementer it can cause even more problems.

Napodano

• Administrator
  • PFM Member
Re: IFMIS deployment models
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 15:19:29 GMT »
More on the subject can be found on the FreeBalance blog at https://freebalance.com/en/blog/government-digital-transformation/how-to-get-government-digital-transformation-right/?utm_source=ZohoCampaigns&utm_campaign=2022-Blogs-10-english&utm_medium=email

'Modernization or Innovation – Which is Most Important to a Successful Government Digital Transformation?'

RSS | Mobile

© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com