Author Topic: A Novel Approach to Change Management  (Read 563 times)

Martin Johnson

• PFM Member
A Novel Approach to Change Management
« on: April 19, 2010, 16:09:00 GMT »
Strengthening Public Expenditure Management in Albania

In 2002, at the start of the second phase of the Strengthening Public Expenditure Management (SPEM) project and following the REPIM team’s initial assessment of the status of Albania’s budget process, a decision was taken to communicate the outcome of this assessment in a novel way. The team commissioned the creation of two sets of cartoons.

The first set caricatured the budget process in operation at the time, as it was explained to the SPEM Team by the staff of the Ministry of Finance. These cartoons, in practice, were self explanatory and cut through the perennial problems of translating concepts clearly between languages. When presented to MoF staff in 2002, the recognition of the existing process and its key weaknesses was clear.

The second set presented a vision for a “strengthened” system, built around the Medium Term Budget Programme (or PBA to use its Albanian acronym). There was appreciation from Ministry of Finance staff for the vision but a strong air of scepticism as to whether it could really be achieved in Albania. The seed had been planted, however, and the first stage of the change management that would be required for the successful design, acceptance and implementation of a “strengthened” system was underway.

The cartoons have been used many times since. Over subsequent years, the Ministry of Finance and other Government of Albania staff have continued to recognise their budget process within the same set of cartoons commissioned in 2002.

By 2008, the Ministry of Finance and its centre of government partners had moved much closer to a modern system of policy-led and performance-influenced public expenditure management. As with all reformers, Albania remains on a journey towards the full implementation of the 2002 ‘vision’. By 2008, however, the recognition of Government of Albania staff was increasingly for the process as presented in the ‘vision’ of 2002 and much less so for the system that was in existence in 2002.

In the early stages the cartoons were used almost exclusively within the Ministry of Finance. They have subsequently been presented to a meeting of the Council of Ministers, a retreat for General Secretaries and to a number of other audiences. After seeing them, the Prime Minister Mr Sali Berisha asked for copies to be provided to all Ministers. 

The cartoons were fun to commission and have been great fun to present. In the process they have proven to be a change management tool that has been unusually effective at all levels, from the most senior position in the government through the middle managers to those at the coal face without whom the system cannot work.

Would there be any interest from the PFM community in taking a look at the cartoons?

Napodano

• Administrator
  • PFM Member
Re: A Novel Approach to Change Management
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 16:24:20 GMT »
I have seen them and they communicate the message so well. No additional words were needed; they stuck in people's mind.

Yes, put them on for all PFMBoarders to enjoy them.

I remember that during the retreat you also presented the strategic views of Sir Humphrey Appleby and Rt Hon James Hacker ;D, but this may be the topic for another time...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 15:15:43 GMT by Napodano »

Richard Maggs

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:19:48 GMT »
Great idea. I would love to see them.

Many years ago I tried (and failed) to use a similar approach in an official UK NAO report. I guess its time had not come.

Martin Johnson

• PFM Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:57:49 GMT »
Okay ... here are the first 6 (of 12) slides which describe our perception of the Albanian system in 2002. I have left the original captions in Albanian as presented in 2002 (and a number of times subsequently). See if you can guess what they say (assuming of course that you are a non-reader of Albanian).

The first three cartoons are displayed in picture form. The others can be viewed by downloading the first attachment.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 15:15:01 GMT by Napodano »

Martin Johnson

• PFM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 16:12:52 GMT »
And here are the second 6 (of 12) slides which describe our vision on behalf of the Government of Albania for the Albanian system in future. Again, I have left the Albanian captions in ...

... do they speak for themselves or would anyone like to see the English?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 16:25:14 GMT by Napodano »

Albani

• PFM Member
    • Vlerësimi i Ndikimit / Impact Assessment
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 14:20:38 GMT »
These slides were presented to Deputy Ministers, Permanent Secretaries, and Heads of Budget that participated in a Public Finance Management - Albania Experience workshop held in Prishtina, Kosovo with Kosovo line ministries.

Napodano

• Administrator
  • PFM Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 15:53:12 GMT »
Albani,

Interesting news. What was the reaction? I trust positive and enticing to move towards a further sophistication of the current Kosovo MTEF  :)

Martin Johnson

• PFM Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:38 GMT »
For all those that have expressed interest off-line to view the English version of the Albanian Cartoons, here is the first set ....

Martin Johnson

• PFM Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:46:32 GMT »
... and the second set ...

STONE

• Global Moderator
  • PFM Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 03:25:32 GMT »
Well done Martin Johnson!

It is high time these had a wider audience.  Richard Maggs observation that the time had not come is an interesting one. The cartoons and the story were posted on an internal DFID site but we know nothing about any response to them.  Perhaps there is a less appetite for cartoons in British culture.  They might go down better in a francophone context given the love for "bandes dessinées".

RSS | Mobile

© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com