Author Topic: Test your skills on CBA  (Read 175 times)

Napodano

• Administrator
  • PFM Member
Test your skills on CBA
« on: December 06, 2012, 07:47:29 GMT »
Exercise 1:
You live in a city that currently does not require bicycle riders to wear helmets. Furthermore, imagine that you enjoy riding your bicycle without wearing a helmet.
a.  From your perspective, what are the major costs and benefits of a proposed city ordinance that would require all bicycle riders to wear helmets?
b.  What are the categories of costs and benefits from society’s perspective?

Answer: test your skills before the answer is posted in a week time.

Source: Cost-Benefit Analysis : Concepts and Practice, A. Boardman, D. Greenberg, A. Vining, D. Weimer
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:50:19 GMT by Napodano »

Napodano

• Administrator
  • PFM Member
Re: Test your skills on CBA
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:42:18 GMT »
Solution to Exercise 1:

'a. The most significant categories of costs to you as an individual are probably: the purchase price of a helmet, the reduced pleasure of riding your bicycle while wearing a helmet, diminished appearance when you take the helmet off (bad hair), and the inconvenience of keeping the helmet available. The most significant categories of benefits are probably:  reduced risk of serious head injury (morbidity) and reduced risk of death (mortality).

b. There are a number of categories of costs and benefits that do not affect you (directly or are insignificant), but which are important in aggregate.  These are:
• program enforcement (a cost)
• reduced health care costs (a benefit), although this may not be as high as one might expect if bicyclists ride more aggressively because they feel safer (this is called off-setting behaviour)
• increased pollution, due to cyclists switching to cars (a cost)

A social cost-benefit analysis would take account of these costs and benefits in addition to your costs.'

Source: Cost-Benefit Analysis : Concepts and Practice, A. Boardman, D. Greenberg, A. Vining, D. Weimer

-------------------

Two comments on my side:
1. I find funny the cost of 'diminished appearance' but in the society in which we live it should not be underestimated
2. I had not envisaged the 'program enforcement' costs. My mistake indeed but this point shows the importance of the CBA analysis and the needed experience of the expert(s) appraising the project.

RSS | Mobile

© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com