Author Topic: War and Prime Ministers - follow up to J. Short's musing on Sir Humphrey  (Read 399 times)

Gord Evans

• PFM Member
Dear John

Belatedly, tracked down the typically insightful Sir Humphrey letter (War in Libya) on using wars as a control mechanism on Prime Ministers.  As a former civil servant, my only comment is shhhhh.  However, as a Canadian, I have to point out the limitations of this approach for WOMD-deprived countries.  Although we'll often join in the sundry military forays started by our southern neighbour or the usual lot of empire-nostalgic regimes, our sidekick efforts unfortunately do absorb sufficient time of our political leaders (one annual photo-op max; perhaps a wreath-laying ceremony). 

The last war initiated by Canada was against the United States more than a century ago and our most promising current conflict, with Denmark over some obscure island between Canada and Greenland, ended with an MoU signed by both countries stating that we agree to disagree (wimps).  So absent the war option, what to do?  Perhaps a consultant's touch is needed - we could inflict on our political leaders that one labour-intensive, all-consuming distraction that can paralyze politicians for months on end and has absolutely nothing to do with the real business of running the government - an MTEF!   

http://sirhumphreyappleby2010.blogspot.com/2011/05/war-in-libya-what-godsend-for-whitehall.html 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 14:18:55 GMT by Napodano »

Napodano

• Administrator
  • PFM Member
Re: War and Prime Ministers - follow up to J. Short's musing on Sir Humphrey
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 14:22:04 GMT »
Great blog. It put a smile on my face!

Thanks, Gordon.

harnett

• Global Moderator
  • PFM Member
    • REPIM
Re: War and Prime Ministers - follow up to J. Short's musing on Sir Humphrey
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:55:03 GMT »
Months?  As a fully signed up MTEF consultant I'm getting worried.  I thought these jobs were for decades, not months.

And as for war, I thought Canada was readying  against your old friends south of the border again; North West Passage, international waters etc.

And if you want any help in your ventures, don't count on pacifist Ireland - no wars started ever - and didn't even join in WWII!!!  Although what the rugby forwards did to the Australians last Saturday wasn't exactly pacifist!!!!

RSS | Mobile

© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com