Donor practices > Managing budget support

Corruption and Fiscal Deficits in Rich Countries

(1/3) > >>

atseacliff:
Kaufmann Blog is usually a good read - posted yesterday some thoughts on his research looking at correlations between corruption and the fiscal deficit in industrialised countries.  He notes that his inquiry "is motivated by the simple observation that, contrary to popular belief, there are significant differences in the extent of corruption and in the quality of governance among industrialized countries.  Further, it is also well known that there are large differences in the budgetary balances (ranging from large surpluses to large deficits) of industrialized nations...."  Well worth reading....

http://thekaufmannpost.net/corruption-and-fiscal-deficits-in-rich-countries/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+thekaufmannpost+(The+Kaufmann+Governance+Post)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

On a more general point is there a way of providing links to blogs and websites prominently on this site? 

harnett:
Thanks for this atseacliffe.  Excellent blog.  Am thinking of developing the theme of corruption more on the Board - where do you think it will sit best?  Just done 2 Anti-Corruption jobs in Zambia and Nicaragua which I'll get onto the Board when reports are finalised.

atseacliff:
Good question.  I suppose this comes down to how mainstream you see your work on corruption being.  As a PFM consultant I sometimes have to address corruption risk in authoring fiduciary risk diagnostics. This tends to build on perception indices and the impact that corruption might have on funds passing through PFM systems.  A separate heading on financial (or fiduciary) risks might be helpful to members but perhaps you have a more specific corruption related heading in mind. 

harnett:
I'd prefer to keep it PFM related so a section on Fiduciary Risk / Corruption may be a good idea, but keeping the corruption element restricted to PFM, rather than broadening it out to prevention and specific anti-corruption bodies.  The way the aid world is thinking I can see corruption being more and more prominent, especially with respect to Budget Support. 

Certainly when Budget Support was in it's infancy, there was a certain reluctance to promote it in countries with poor fiduciary risk, but it seems with HQ pressure to disburse funds and the drive to achieve MDGs, as well as Paris/Accra, this reluctance has been overlooked to some extent.  Now the pendulum seems to swinging the other way. 

Napodano:
Harnett,

this could be interesting

Preventing Corruption: A Toolkit for Parliamentarians
'This toolkit aims to provide a framework for parliamentarians to discuss their own performance in preventing corruption. The context for the questions is the United Nations Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC) and the policy positions approved by GOPAC members at the Global Conference in Kuwait November 2008.'

http://gaportal.org/tools/preventing-corruption-toolkit-parliamentarians

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version