Author Topic: Why the convergence between rich and poor economies has slowed  (Read 339 times)

Napodano

• Administrator
  • PFM Member
Why the convergence between rich and poor economies has slowed
« on: September 12, 2014, 08:17:43 GMT »
The Economist's article is available at http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21616891-ten-years-ago-developing-economies-were-catching-up-developed-ones-remarkably-quickly-it?fsrc=nlw 

It make a great read:
'The past 15 years have changed perceptions regarding just what is possible. But they also deceived people into thinking broad convergence is the natural way of things. It looks like the world is now being reminded that catching up is hard to do'.

This analysis should be in the mind of anyone dealing with post-2015 MDG agenda!

John Short

• Global Moderator
  • PFM Member
Re: Why the convergence between rich and poor economies has slowed
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:45:46 GMT »
Strong on trade and infrastructure but the word - or should I say two words good policy  - are not mentioned but may be inferred, but why not be direct?  What about good budget formulation – included in good policy?         

Napodano

• Administrator
  • PFM Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 09:41:05 GMT »
the article includes direct references to good governance and institutions, even though there is no data analysis on this important variable.

It would be nice to compare countries growth with the Governance indicators by the World Bank http://info.worldbank.org/governance/wgi/index.aspx#home. I am sure someone did it already!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:25:45 GMT by Napodano »

John Short

• Global Moderator
  • PFM Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 11:58:46 GMT »
................but it would have been better to have put that in the context of good policy - the word policy did not appear in the article or at least I did not see it.

RSS | Mobile

© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com