Author Topic: A Post 2015 Menu of Development Indicators, With Fitted Goals?  (Read 335 times)

Napodano

• Administrator
  • PFM Member
A Post 2015 Menu of Development Indicators, With Fitted Goals?
« on: February 05, 2013, 19:52:48 GMT »
From Matt Andrews (blog http://matthewandrews.typepad.com/mattandrews/2013/02/a-post-2015-menu-of-development-indicators-with-fitted-goals.html ):
'Last week saw a high level meeting in Monrovia to discuss the post 2015 Millennium Development Goals (if that is what they are called).....
My immediate response to this is to scratch my head and wonder what all the discussion of country ownership in development really means. Surely countries should be choosing the specific goals they care about themselves. This meas choosing the area and field they want to see particular impact in and choosing the goal in that field.

I understand the international community wants to have international and global goals, but the goals will be met by actions in individual countries and it is vital that these countries are the ones:
 •identifying the problems
 •accepting baseline measures of the problems
 •defining goals
 •counting the cost (direct and opportunity) of setting these goals
 •looking for solutions
 •owning the process of change
 •ensuring feedback and learning throughout the process of change

I would propose that the high level meetings focused on post 2015 indicators develop menus of potential goals, with baseline data for as many countries as possible in all of these menu areas. Then let countries choose the areas they want to focus on and what they see as do-able targets, and let the countries drive the discussion about how they will get there.

If ownership matters in development and change, let's allow for ownership through choice.'
UNQUOTE

Spot on, Matt! I could not agree more, especially on the cost issue.

STONE

• Global Moderator
  • PFM Member
Re: A Post 2015 Menu of Development Indicators, With Fitted Goals?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:41:41 GMT »
So Mid-century development guidelines?

RSS | Mobile

© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com