Author Topic: OECD Task Force on Public Financial Management  (Read 352 times)

atseacliff

• PFM Member
OECD Task Force on Public Financial Management
« on: November 29, 2011, 14:15:32 GMT »
In the run-up to HLF-4 which started today in Korea the OECD Task Force on PFM has published a series of reports which can be found on

http://www.oecd.org/document/36/0,3746,en_2649_3236398_43437604_1_1_1_1,00.html

These are:

Practitioner’s Guide to Using Country PFM Systems
Practitioner’s Guide to Strengthening Country PFM Systems
Stocktaking Study on PFM Diagnostic Instruments
Good Practices in Supporting Supreme Audit Institutions

petagny

• Global Moderator
  • PFM Member
Re: OECD Task Force on Public Financial Management
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 15:07:43 GMT »
Thanks. The guide to using country systems is particularly handy for some work I've been doing for Belgian Cooperation on executing projects using country systems, which seems to have been a somewhat neglected area. Lots of country examples are given.

atseacliff

• PFM Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 16:23:46 GMT »
Glad that's useful - I'm guessing you may have seen this but if not the World Bank also has a site on the UCS in its projects.

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/PROJECTS/0,,contentMDK:20266649~menuPK:538163~pagePK:41367~piPK:51533~theSitePK:40941,00.html

harnett

• Global Moderator
  • PFM Member
    • REPIM
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 21:18:25 GMT »
Thanks for this - I particularly liked the Stocktaking Study on PFM Diagnostic Instruments which raises a number of important issues.

So.... 
1.  Is PEFA likely to be tailored so that other diagnostic instruments can be rendered superfluous (ROSC, CPFM-SAT, EC assessments, etc.)?
2.  Are sectoral PEFAs going to be developed given the demand for them?  If so, which areas first?  Any plans?
3.  It is still asserted that "Further action is needed to address the significant transaction costs resulting from duplicated and overlapping assessments. Governments should have a coherent, integrated medium term strategy of diagnostic instruments; supported by donors."  That is pretty close to the statements that gave rise to PEFA all those years ago.  In the PEFA training modules we are told "Duplication and lack of coordination led to heavy burden on partner governments (during the 1990s)."  Hasn't there been a significant improvement in this regard?  This report states "this (use of PEFA) does not appear to be translating into significant net reductions in the amount of PFM diagnostic work being undertaken."  This is very worrying.  Are there any statistics indicating numbers of PFM diagnostic studies carried out in the 1990s and more recently?  The training materials of PEFA assert that "In Africa an analysis of diagnostic work undertaken in 2003 revealed that the average number of reviews for a country was 4.6 reviews."  Any figure for a recent year?  If there is no significant change then is this excused to some extent by the increased emphasis on budget support and therefore PFM? i.e the ratio of PFM diagnostics to level of budget support has decreased.  Or is this disingenuous?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:18:30 GMT by harnett »

atseacliff

• PFM Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:59:39 GMT »
Harnett

I will try and address your questions later in the week.  Just to let you know that Volumes I and  II of the Stocktake Report are both now available on the PEFA website. 

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/PEFA/0,,menuPK:7313471~pagePK:7313134~piPK:7313172~theSitePK:7327438,00.html

RSS | Mobile

© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com