Author Topic: Following up on some issues  (Read 262 times)

FitzFord

• PFM Member
Following up on some issues
« on: July 12, 2010, 16:29:47 GMT »
Two sets of issues on which I tend to get many questions have been about: details of the design issues that address important practical questions; and, how to build public and political support in the early stages of implementing a decentralization program. In my last post I had promised to post a study that relates to the first question. It is attached below.

A useful approach that has gained credibility relates to quick wins that are substantively beneficial and are sustainable. Sources of useful information on this approach include: RRI: rapidresults.org; Thomas Leder <thomas.leder@hlp-org.com>; Robert Schaffer and Associates; and the World Bank - They have a leadership development program that uses this principle. GTZ also case material on this.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 18:35:39 GMT by FitzFord »

Napodano

• Administrator
  • PFM Member
Re: Following up on some issues
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 16:55:55 GMT »
Thank you, FitzFord.

On my side I like to make a reference to the Duke University Program on Fiscal Decentralization and Local Government Financial Management
http://sanford.duke.edu/centers/dcid/executive/open/pfd.php

It covers the following areas:
  • Administrative decentralization
  • Fiscal decentralization
  • Intergovernmental transfers
  • Local revenue systems
  • Fiscal planning and management

Has any of you, PFM Boarders, attended the programe or heard any feedback? It would be great to have the teaching professors on the Board togewther with some of their alumni
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:36:06 GMT by Napodano »

FitzFord

• PFM Member
Re: Following up on some issues
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 18:14:22 GMT »
Actually, I know that program well and most of the people from the time when it  was at Harvard. They have trained many current practitioners around the world today, and continue to do so. They would make a great contribution to this dialogue. I think it would be useful to engage some more academics who also are engaged in advising governments on these issues. I will ask a couple I know, to get this started. If readers have suggestions, those are welcome as well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 18:37:17 GMT by FitzFord »

RSS | Mobile

© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com